Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson has dismissed GPL’s CEO Bharat Dindyal in part because of a video recording released on social media where he is heard screaming “Let the f***ng minister call me”.
The Mosquito understands Dindyal was earning $6M per month for his services and that the previous board had recommended his contract not be renewed.
Here is the press release from the ministry
Bharat Dindyal, who served as Chief Executive Officer of the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) has been formally advised that a decision has been taken that his engagement with the company will conclude effective 16:00hrs today, Friday August 14th 2015.
Following are the pertinent facts:
1. Mr. Dindyal’s substantive contract came to an end on December 31, 2014.
2. There was no renewal of Mr. Dindyal’s contract.
3. Mr. Dindyal continued to serve as GPL CEO based on what was described as “an understanding” between himself and the previous subject minister, Prime Minister Samuel Hinds.
4. No written documentation has been provided with regard to this “understanding”.
5. Based on information provided this “understanding” was apparently for a six month period which commenced on January 1, 2015 and concluded on June 30, 2015.
6. Mr. Dindyal communicated to new subject Minister, the Minister of Public Infrastructure, Mr. David Patterson that he intended to part ways with GPL but was prepared to remain as CEO for an interim transition period.
Minister Patterson, having thoroughly examined these pertinent facts along with Mr. Dindyal’s intervention in matters relating to staff (some of which was video recorded and has been extensively viewed on social media) and his own performance appraisal and other relevant information, last evening advised Cabinet of the decision to conclude Mr. Dindyal’s engagement with GPL.
A subsequent announcement will be made with regard to the plan relating to the administrative leadership of GPL.”